Most concerns about windshield wiper performance are the result of dirty wiper blades, damaged wiper blades, or worn out blades that are continuing to be used beyond their useful life. Depending on environmental conditions, wiper blades can have dramatic differences in lifespan.
Here are some tips and information to maximize wiper performance, avoid damage to the blades, and to avoid unnecessary replacements.
- Clean the windshield and the rubber on wiper blades; if this does not correct the problem, then replace the rubber elements.
- Clean the rubber blades using a lint free cloth or paper towel soaked with windshield washer fluid or a mild detergent. You should see significant amounts of dirt being removed on the cloth.
- Be sure to wash the windshield thoroughly when you clean the blades. Bugs, road grime, sap and a buildup of car wash/wax treatments may additionally cause wiper streaking.
- For a larger scale buildup on the windshield, use a non-abrasive cleaner such a Bon-Ami* cleanser with a wet sponge, being sure to use plenty of water to avoid scratching the glass. Flush the surface and body panels completely.
- For day-to-day exterior glass cleaning and to maintain a streak free appearance, we suggest Vehicle Care Glass Cleaner. GM Parts Vehicle Glass Car Cleaner Parts #19287404 (18oz). This product is an easy to use foaming cleaner that quickly removes dirt and grime from glass surfaces.
- Interior glass should be cleaned with plain, clean water to eliminate any film or haze on the window and help prevent fogging
- Avoid getting windshield washer fluid on your hands. Wear rubber gloves or avoid direct contact with washer fluid. Do not use gasoline, kerosene, or petroleum based products to clean wiper blades
- Inspect your wiper blades every 4 - 6 months, or every 7500 miles for wear, cracking or contamination.
For issues or problems call Audia Chevrolet; we will inspect and install your wiper blades free of charge by a trained GM Certified Technician. Call for an appointment at 845-677-6220; or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org